Blogger templates

Wednesday 20 November 2013

A Boring Day


Hey everyone!

How's life with you guys out there? Doing great? Good to hear that. We need all kind of good news every now and then to perk our day once in a while. As for me, life has been easy on me these days. I am happy the way I am leading my life at this very moment. I had had enough of deadlines and headaches a couple of years ago to last me a lifetime.

Much of the time I have at hand these days were filled with daily routine. I am always on the go from dawn till later in the evening. That way I don't feel my life being wasted away. But like any other people out there, there were days when I felt unproductive. There's no challenge for me to take on. What challenge? You're fifty years old. You may say. I know, I know, but it's not a sin right, for a fifty year old to want to have a little challenge to spice up her life? Oh well, I try to  figure out something some day.

Wondering why I am grumbling about my life? Nothing much. Just that yesterday was an awfully boring day for me. As usual I got up early and made some light breakfast for Sara before she left for school. My husband was out early. Soffian was with his friends holidaying in Koh Lipeh, Thailand and Ariff was in the morning shift. I was all alone at home. Just so you know it, I love being alone at home. I am free from cooking and washing. And I am free to write my blog with no disturbances whatsoever. But yesterday was, I don't know how to say it, something like empty. Most probably it was raining outside and the sky was dark and my radio was playing As Time Goes By by Kenny Rogers. It all added up together.

I went out for a while on my own to pay up our utility bills and grabbed some grocery to stock up my kitchen cabinet. I planned it in such a way that I was on the dot to pick up Sara from her school. Since nobody was at home, both of us had lunch at a nice little cafe close to my place. I had Fish & Chips while Sara had a nice grilled chicken. That was quite good.  We got home at close to one o'clock in time to catch a repeat of a Running Man episode.
Ariff got home a little bit later. Gave me a weak smile and headed towards kitchen. "Ma, what did you have for lunch?" He asked. I said casually, "Oh, Sara and I had our lunch outside, since nobody was at home today". I heard him grumbling how hungry he was and that he hadn't eaten anything since this morning. I turned to him and said, "I don't understand you. You worked in a hotel, you worked in one of the hotels kitchen and for heaven's sake you're making cakes and chocolates everyday for the desserts and you came home grumbling to me that you're hungry. I honestly don't understand you."
"Ma, I had enough of hotel food. I even can tell what food they're serving in the cafetaria by the smell of it."
"Oh really? For all you know, I got tired of my cooking too. I too know what's the taste like even before the food was inside my mouth." I countered back.
He will not back down when he continued,"Are you cooking tonight?"
I said I don't know. I will if I feel up to it and I won't if I don't feel like it.
He made a face and cheekily said to me before running hurriedly upstairs, "You will cook then right?"
I shouted back I don't know yet.

It was nearly six when my husband got home. He walked slowly towards the dining table and saw nothing on it.His way of questioning it,"What did you guys had for lunch just now?"
"Oh we had our lunch outside." I answered.
"Anything to eat? I am hungry."
I don't understand them. They were out all day and going places and they can stop anywhere to have that cup of tea but no, none of them did that. They came home and automatically their eyes and hands will reach the dining table to see if there's something that can be eaten. Or the fridge. They will open the fridge to see if I've placed a mystery dessert inside there. Well I do at times, since I have a food blog. But not always and I need to get away from the kitchen too every now and then.

A few hours ago the house was quiet and I thought I'd die of boredom and now I wish that boredom would creep back so that I could lounge a bit more, instead of having this squabbling moment with them.
Guess what happen next? I ended up going into the kitchen. I prepared the easiest and safest dinner for all. Home-made paratha bread with chicken curry and tuna sandwich.

Ariff came down later and saw some food on the table and I can see him grinning and stealing a quick look at my direction. As if I didn't see him.
"What are you smiling about?" I purposely put on my firm voice.
"Oh nothing, just that I think Genie had brought me some food." He said teasing me.
"Genie? Sure, the Genie you're talking about is the same Genie talking to you at this very moment".
He laughed and walked to get his plate and doesn't seem to bother with my remarks.
My husband was next on line to get his plate.

And so my boring day had turned into a normal day. I maybe can stay away from the kitchen when we were away somewhere on holiday.
Dinner served, everybody's happy. Now it's my time to sit back and enjoy a few hours before calling it a night.

Good nite everybody!

Bye for now,
Rose
20th.Nov '13






No comments:

Post a Comment