Blogger templates

Thursday 27 March 2014

From One To The Big Five O

Hello all!


My deepest heartfelt condolences goes out to the families of passengers and crews of MH 370 which went missing on the 8th. March 2014. It has now been confirmed that the plane went down into the southern Indian Ocean.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Come May, I will turn fifty one. Officially that made ​​me half a century woman. Sounds ancient  but that's a fact. So today I'm gonna list out fifty things, be it trivial or significant, to mark my life as someone who made ​​it this far in this big wide world.

1) Born with nothing, I grew up to live till this day.

2) Terribly a shy person. Years ago I cowered when scolded by my superiors. I was that weak.
    Too afraid to stand up for my rights.

3) I wanted people to like me so much that I'd go to great extend to accommodate the feelings of others,
    most of the time forgetting my own bruised heart and feelings. 

4) Being raised as a country girl, I didn't have much time to care about my looks. I was rough and 
    uncultured.

5) Growing up, I was much more comfortable being around the boys rather than girls. I got tongue-tied 
    and a wee bit quieter whenever I am with my own species. To this day, I still act the same.  

6) I only gained my confidence and self assurance upon reaching my twenties. Probably because I started
    to live away from home and had to fend for myself.

7) Finding a boyfriend was a great task for me. I was an ugly duckling then what with my dark skin and zero
    skills of flirting.

8) I was forever grateful to the first hotel that took me in as a receptionist. While there I polished my English 
    and my communicating skill.

9) I also learned my table manners and how to behave around people while there.

10) When I was young, we were told to respect the elders without question asked. Now I taught my    
       children to respect elders but make them respect you as well. It works two ways.

11) I used to think, women were the weaker sex.  Now I beg to differ. Women were much as good as, if 
       not better than men. 

12) But I still prefer to be in men's company rather than women. That didn't change. Men tend to be 
      themselves without much hipocracy.

13) My best and smartest boss was a Japanese, Mr Komine. He was a shrewd businessman and he's got 
      good brain. I learned a lot from him and applied some of his business dealing technique to my own
      business.
   
14)  In a quiet way, I am actually a strong headed person.This trait has landed me in deep,deep water rather
       than accomplishments.

15) When I was in my mid thirties, money was my priority. It was never enough even though both of us
       were doing very well in our respective jobs.

16) When we started to have children, my priority reversed hundred and ten percent. I changed role
       from being a career minded woman to a typical mom.

17) If a few years ago, I was a shy and timid little girl, by the age of thirty five, I became a new person.
      I was more vocal and bold.

18) I was raised by my beloved grandmother who was a deeply religious person. She used to be a frequent
      mosque-goer and I followed suit. Years later, I dropped the practise. I am now slowly picking up the
      habits which I left off consciously.

19) Ever heard a phrase: follow your heart? In my case, I had many dreams or things I wanted to do.
      But as I said, family was my priority. That being said, I have no regrets whatsoever.

20) I used to look good in jeans and T-Shirt. (I was an athlete once you know) But now, I dread to see my
      reflection in the mirror.Oh I got a few packs on my body but not on the right track.Get what I mean?

21) When I was in my thirties, I thought whomever in their fifties were just old and cranky. Now that I've
       joined the wagon, I don't feel fifty. I am still what I am years ago.Well, the youthful looks has long gone!

22) To remind me of my current age, I wake up with creaking knees and back bone aches. That was like
       you've just been thrown with a bucket full of cold water. It says, wake up, you're no longer young!

23) I truly realize that there's no turning back in age when I saw my hanging jowls some time ago.

24) I don't look forward to receiving calls. Most probably the creditors.

25) Receiving calls at night was not for partying anymore. It was either deaths or other emergencies.

26) No matter how much money you waste, your skin still lose it's elasticity.

27) I once was a dare-devil driver. I've toned down a lot, thanks to my age.

28) The privilege of being in forties or fifties, shop assistants tended to you with full enthusiasm in contrast
       to when you were in your early twenties.

29) Now that the children doesn't depend too much on us financially, we been able to splash some money
      on ourselves even if it means one dress per month.

30) From someone who knows nut about cooking, I can now pat my shoulder for being able to cook
      for up to thirty people on my own.

31) Birthdays were celebrated in a quieter way.

32) Birthdays only reminded you that you're a year closer to the next destination.

33) Being fifties means your next frequent visit is the hospital.

34) Sicknesses and diseases soon will follow you wherever you are.

35) Nowadays I don't go around trying to win people's hearts. I don't need to. I am happy the way I am.

36) You feel good when you saw the guy you once had a crush on has totally turned into a typical fifty year
       old man.

37) Got my first shocker a couple of years ago, when a young girl greeted me warmly with Hello auntie
       greetings. My first thought was, holy crap, I am old!

38) We cherished the memories and thoughts of our youths more precious than our newly acquired
       gemstone.

39) I still walk with my back straight. Not giving in to the force of gravity easily.

40) I keep my sprightliness alive, that way I don't give in to feeling lousy and self pity.

41) Be grateful that you've reached the ripe ol' age of fifty, many didn't make it that far.

42) When you look in the mirror and thought you looked hideous, open the old album and find the picture
       of you when you were in your early teens.

43) I don't have to work twice as hard as I did before.

44) I have turned into a contented and graceful person much much better than I used to be.

45) I looked around and see the jumbled life of another human being, I can sit back and smile cause
      I wasn't that person anymore.

46) I now have luscious time to utilise according to my convenience.

47) My advise was taken much more seriously that it did twenty years ago.

48) I do things according to my preferences.

49) To all my fifties buddies, throw down your worries. It's time to let go of yourselves. Be who you wanted
       to be.

50 ) I won't say that I won't trade my fifties with any other age group, but I am pleased that I was able to
        embrace this age with an open arms.

Happy reading people,
Rose
28th.March '14


 

No comments:

Post a Comment