Blogger templates

Friday 2 January 2015

The Ugly Malaysians

Happy New Year every body!

The other day I was in the LRT (short for Light Rail Transit) from the main station, KL Sentral station to my place. Sophie was with me. It took 45 minutes to reach our stop. It was well after the prime time but the crowd was unusually thick.

I got a seat after two stops. I sat down thankfully whereas Sophie stood next to me.  I prefer to ride the train rather than driving since I find it enjoyable. Sophie and Sara, on the other hand hated it but who cares! As long as I am happy,  I'll do what I want.

What I am about to write today is about the other side of Malaysians (generally). Malaysians was often touted as friendly, nice, helpful and warm. Here are things that made me ashamed, at times of being Malaysian.

1) Public Toilet : Much has been said about the cleanliness of our public toilet. Why can't everybody keep the washroom clean just like what they'd do at their own home? This is a case of , " There's a cleaner to clean it, why should I do it?" attitude.
Because of this attitude, I would rather wait until I find a decent place to answer my nature calls.

2) Public Transportation : Like I said above, I enjoyed riding the LRT but I hate the manners shown by some of the commuters. These LRT or monorail or whatever name given for this mode of transportation were usually monopolised by the young working adult. A few times Sophie came home grumbling saying how rude some of these "educated young adults" are when it comes to giving up their seats for those who obviously deserved it such as pregnant women, women with young child or babies, a handicap person and the list goes on.
i) How could any one of these people turned a blind eye whenever they saw someone who needed the seat was standing next to them? Some would even go to the extend pretending sleeping!
ii) I've never been to any European countries or anywhere outside Asian countries, so I don't know what is the manner of the people out there when it comes to boarding a bus or train. Over here, we Malaysians are a little advance than other countries, we squeezed in and board the train or the bus even before the passengers on board finished alighting from these transportation. Can you guess what happened next? Yep, you guessed it right. Many time everybody got stuck breast to breast with each other trying to shove their way in or out (for ladies at least). Sigh...


3) Again about the LRT or train. There were a few coaches painted bright pink written boldy "For Ladies Only", inside and out. No one with a good eye-sight could miss the bold letters. Yet one could see, these guys walked nonchalantly and sat in any one of the coaches filled with women like they belong to the species. What a shame! A train conductor had to make a round just to remind and usher  out these stupid a@#$  from that particular coach.

4) The infamous Malaysian drivers. One just had to be in this country to really know what I am talking about. You have to take my word for it or any others who shared the same feeling as I did. They become monsters once behind wheels. Take an example, if you are driving, just after paying your toll at toll plaza, try inch your way, surge forward in between cars and then successfully overtook a car, you'll see a maniac next to you squeezing close as if about to ram onto your car, he'll do that until he succeeded to be ahead of you. Moron!

5) Trash: Compared to Singapore, Malaysia is dirty. (Singapore is spotless) Garbage is everywhere literally. Who to blame? Ninety percent, I would blame it on the people. The balance of the percentage will go to the city hall or the local municipals. You see, the public never seemed to take it seriously when it comes to dumping garbage. One could own a house where there runs a river just behind their houses. What did they do? Dumping wastes, plastic bags or food waste into the river. One day, the river was too tired to clean up human stupidity that it clogged. When it clogged, all sorts of diseases break loose. When these happened they blamed it to the developer who was about to build some condominium there, blame the city hall for not doing their job properly, blame it to their co-residents for throwing garbage inside the water. Are we never to blame ourselves? Are we that good? These pointing fingers has became synonymous among Malaysians.

6) Malaysians were known for their impatient attitude especially during queuing up for something. It could very well be in the post office or caught in the traffic congestion.
i) One could line up to pay utility bills for half an hour when suddenly an ugly human just stride in at leisure and cut the queue. They ignored the contempt looks from others and pretend looking at whatever gadget in hand. What a cow!
ii) Everybody were stranded in a three lane busy road when suddenly you see a car from your rear mirror approaching using the emergency lane. The next thing you know, a few other cars follow suit. Great Malaysian attitude!

7) One other trait that I noticed about Malaysian, they avoid eye contact. I don't know if it's only me or that's the way Malaysians are. Many a time when I speak to anyone, their eyes wandered somewhere else. I don't know if I should put this attitude under Ugly Malaysians but I need to highlight this thought of mine since I've been carrying it for years. I hated talking to people when they refused to look me into the eyes. It's as if they don't acknowledge me as a person worth talking to.

I know when we talk about manners, it doesn't confine to only one group of people, it's universal. The difference is, these type of behaviour is rampant in Malaysia. I only hope and wish, that one day, one fine day, we could try to change and behave like a normal civilise human being.

Out for now and have a great day people!

Rose
3rd.Jan '15

No comments:

Post a Comment