Blogger templates

Saturday 11 April 2015

The Running Man Makes My Day

Hello friends,

This is my first entry for month of April. Too many things have been bugging my head that I can't focus on anything right now, let alone writing. But I need to keep myself occupied, else I'd go nuts.

Not too long ago I used to be a cheerful and untroubled person. Don't know what went wrong, I find myself easy on tears these days. Little things can make me cry. I read or heard somewhere, that older people cries easily. Okayy.. I am in the old people category and I cry a lot these days, so how do I go about unwinding this feeling?

To unwind this miserable disposition I am experiencing, I watched sitcom series, fun reality shows and light hearted movies. It helps a lot since I am naturally a fun loving and good-humoured person.

Currently my favourite TV show is a Korean variety show called The Running Man. Why do I watched this TV variety show? First, they are fun to watch and secondly I can relate to them, in a sense that they are who they are. They don't portray themselves as someone they're not. Can you understand what I am trying to say? Simply put they're a nice bunch of people.

Why Running Man? If it was your first time watching this variety show, you'd find it confusing and can't get a grip of what's going on in that show. You had to get to know the casts first, then focus on their mission or task for that day. The cast consist of 7 people, 6 men and 1 girl.Their names are a mouthful to pronounce but then again we are not Korean, so yeah, we are forgiven for not able to memorize their names in the first few episodes. There are Yoo Jae Suk, Kim Jong Kook, HaHa (Ha Dong Hoon), Kang Gary (Kang Hee Gun), Ji Suk Jin, Lee Kwang Soo and last but not least the only girl in this show Ms Song Ji Hyo.

I love all seven of them but my favourite would be HaHa. He is the shortest among all and has bad reputation among invited guests especially the ladies. He would never backed down or give way to anyone even though their special guests on that day was a pretty girl from a popular K Pop group. Word gentleman doesn't apply to him. If he had to win, he'd play hard and dirty just to win, period.
Yoo Jae Suk is a Korean national MC. A very modest person and loved by all, one would know his character and personality just by watching him in any show that he appeared.

The other five cast members have their own charm and personality too. I don't elaborate because then it would be too long to read.
What I find interesting about the seven of them is, they are genuinely comfortable and at ease with one another. They often poke fun at one another about anything, be it their physical appearance, their not-so-attractive habit or just plain annoying fun-poking. They treat everybody the same and that include Ms Ji Hyo too. They were so familiar with each other that sometimes any one of the boys would undress and left only their boxer shorts on with Ms Ji Hyo in full view. To them she is one of the boys.

The 1 hour show will kick off with cast members being briefed by their PD (Program Director) about their mission on that day. This is when the havoc began. Argument ensued between the cast and their PD. The game chosen at time was way beyond their expectations. Some of the things they had to endure was walking around the city looking for their clue in the harsh cold and snowing day. Other times they would have to wrestle in the rice field filled with mud and murky water. At one time, they had to climb up a 63 storey building albeit it's a relay mission.
All these missions were carried out good-naturedly by them. And to think that these people are in their 40s, that takes a true grit and strong determination.

From left: Gary, Haha, Jae Suk, Ji Hyo, Jong Kook, Suk Jin and Kwang Soo

I would say the cast members were actually a group of intelligent people given the way the mission was laid out to them was sometimes absurd to our mind. They don't have a prepared dialogue although some guideline were hand out prior to the show. They will have to crack the clue even though it's way after midnight.
That's why I said it's an interesting and entertaining show to watch since the game played was not some kind of a lame and slapstick play. Between the seven of them Ji Suk Jin is the oldest. He is 49years old. Among them all, he is deemed to be a slow-paced person  and almost always came out last or losing to other team members and their guest stars. But then again, he is 49, what do you expect from someone that age?

When I was first introduced to this show, I said to Sophie, what kind of a show is this? I don't understand head or tail let alone enjoying it. But Sophie being Sophie, keeps on persisting me to watch with her week after week until I finally found myself glued to the TV every time the 7 cast members appeared. Next she got her big brother Ariff to join our club. I could vouch right here and now that the two of them (Ariff and Sophie) never missed a single episode.
I used to record the show and watched it with Sara late afternoon when nobody at home. It was very entertaining and it still is.

So, for those of you who has never watched this variety show before, just give it a try. For Malaysian, you can turn to Channel 393 every Friday night.

Until then, smile always and be nice people!

Rose
11th.Apr '15

 

No comments:

Post a Comment