Blogger templates

Tuesday 13 August 2013

Sneak Peek on Chiang Mai Holiday (part 2) / Corat Coret Di Chiang Mai



On our first day in Chiang Mai, after our dinner  and on our way walking back towards the hotel, we passed by the busy street of the Anusarn night market. Just a few meters ahead of me, I saw a row of pretty girls sitting on a high chair lined up by the road side. I didn't think of anything at first. A few yards after passing them by, I realized that the girls are the working girls. The pimp was standing right behind them trying to find some potential clients for his girls.
Just when I thought I knew everything needed to know, I found myself  surprised by what I had just seen. I felt sorry for the girls as they looked too young to be doing what they were doing.


Our second day in Chiang Mai fell on the first of Eid. We had dinner the night before at one of the Muslim Restaurant (probably owned by a Chinese Muslim) and even though she can't speak a word of English, she had been very hospitable towards us and invited us for lunch on the first day of Eid. We were touched by her kindness. We barely knew each other and that was our first time dinner at her restaurant and yet she invited us to be with her on that special day. Thank you ma'am! (Ruammit Restaurant, Anusarn Market, Chiang Mai)

We rode a rented bicycle around the city one morning and cycle back to the hotel about 11:00am since everybody was getting slightly breathless. Upon entering the hotel compound, the security guard, ever so attentive, stand up straight and with his two hands clasp together as if about to pray, he would bow a little and would wish us Sawadee Kap ( means hello). I had been intrigued with this gesture from day one of our arrival. They would bow to their guests or customers as a way of appreciation. So, upon entering the hotel compound, when he did that gesture again, I did the same. Clasp my hands together and bowed a little.  My legs were still on the pedals while I lifted my hands. I muttered Sawadee Ka to him and nearly fell off my bike. Sophie was yelling from behind me, "Ma, what do you think you're doing?"
 I said, "I am trying to be friendly to him".
"You nearly fell off and you can always be nice to him when your feet touch the ground."
Okay maam. Got it loud and clear.

That was a second part of the sneak peek of our days in Chiang Mai.

Rose
13th.August '13


No comments:

Post a Comment